POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jan 2012 04:30:17
Message: <4f1e7a29@news.povray.org>
>>> You were aware that Hosni Mubarak is no longer in charge in Egypt and
>>> that they had a "small" revolution last year, weren't you?
>>
>> Nope. The politics of remote countries isn't something I generally keep
>> up with. (Heck, the politics of *this* country isn't something I avidly
>> follow...)
>
> So you didn't hear about any of the so-called "Arab Spring" events?

No.

> You do know that the US pulled out of Iraq, yes?

I've heard multiple rounds of "We're pulling out. Oh, wait, we're
pulling out in 6 month's time. No, we're pulling out next month. Oh,
actually, make that 2 years. Actually, wait, make it a month. No, hang
on..." It's news to me that they *actually* did it at last.

> Or were you unaware that the US (and the UK) were at war in Iraq?

Hehehe, is *that* why every FPS made in the last 10 years happens in the
Middle East with Iraqis as the enemy? :-P

> You know there's a war in Afghanistan too, yes?  And that's still going on?

Wait - Afghanistan and Iraq aren't the same place? o_O

> And that Osama Bin Laden is dead?

Actually, no. I heard Saddam was dead, but I didn't know they ever found
Osama.

>> And Edgar Froese is arguably the most famous band member ever to be in
>> Tangerine Dream... Have *you* ever heard of him?
>
> Yes, as a matter of fact, I have - because I have a fair collection of
> Tangerine Dream albums here. :)

I knew there was a strictly positive probability that this might happen.
*facepalm*

>> Fame is a relative thing.
>
> It is relative, but there's been a *lot* of news about illegal downloads
> and torrents in the past 5 years or so.  TPB has figured into a lot of
> that news, because the providers keep blocking access, and they keep
> getting unblocked.
>
> I've found it kinda hard to avoid news about that.  I'm wondering how you
> managed it without even trying.

I've heard a lot of talk about "illegal downloads". I haven't heard
anybody mention TPB.

It did tickle me when ISPs were talking about various ways to "detect
and prevent downloading". Uh, you realise that the entire /point/ of
ISPs is to enable downloading, right? Perhaps you meant prevent
*illegal* downloading? :-P

(That and the talk of ISPs charging YouTube money because they're "using
up all the bandwidth". Translation: "our profit model depends on
customers using only a fraction of the bandwidth that they pay us for,
and now people are using /all/ of what they rightfully paid for, waaaaa!")