POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Use of Sam Benge's strand utility : Re: Use of Sam Benge's strand utility Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use of Sam Benge's strand utility
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Jan 2012 02:59:39
Message: <4f1e64eb$1@news.povray.org>
On 24-1-2012 2:12, Samuel Benge wrote:

> Hmm, I figured nobody was using it; I'm glad that somebody is :)

Well, like you say, I got sidetracked too :-) Only yesterday, while
messing around in my POV backyard, I came across it and thought about
what I could do with it, except making height_fields. This seemed one of
the interesting possibilities I wanted to share.

As the output of your utility has a strong 3D look, I was wondering if
there would be a possibility to render the strands in a 3 dimensional
way other than the classic height_fields, something like your fractals?
I suppose the voids would be the challenge...

> Should I ever make a new version, I'll probably get a Bresenham line function
> going (for efficiency), and maybe even investigate the possibility of having
> antialiasing as an option.
>
> I'll try to post some stuff generated by the utility soon. Hopefully I won't get
> sidetracked like I usually do :)

Very good! Nothing wrong with sidetracking though ;-)

Thomas