POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure : Re: Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual Server Failure
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jan 2012 10:50:19
Message: <4f1d81bb$1@news.povray.org>
>> The fun thing is, apparently SSD has
>>
>> 1. Reached price levels where Normal Humans can potentially afford them.
>>
>> 2. Reached capacities where you might actually buy this stuff.
>>
>> Interesting times ahead, eh?
>
> Indeed, I've a friend in Scotland who has a Thinkpad with an SSD in it
> and the performance is good, but the battery life is also quite good (I
> think he said he gets 10 hours out of a single battery).

Lots of laptops have offered an SSD option for a while now. The problem
has always been that the price is a bit insane. Looks like prices are
starting to become reasonable now - although I see 100x differences in
the reported I/O performance being quoted for different models. (!!)

Also, I'm quite impressed with my own laptop. Usually laptops /claim/ to
run for 8 hours or something, but /actually/ run for about 20 minutes.
The 8 hours figure applies only if you leave the laptop turned on but
not *doing* anything. :-P But my current laptop /really does/ run for
several hours without needing recharging. It's pretty neat...

(My laptop also has /actual 3D performance/ too. I had no idea laptops
could do that now!)