POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure : Re: Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual Server Failure
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jan 2012 10:41:26
Message: <4f1d7fa6@news.povray.org>
>> Heh, I still remember looking at one of the stacks, and seeing that it
>> had *seven* 4.2 GB drives in it. (Remember, in 1997, those suckers where
>> EXPENSIVE.) I remember feeling slightly giddy trying to compute how much
>> total storage space such a monster RAID setup... Ah, the memories.
>
> Indeed, I still recall that the Fortune 50 company I worked for a decade
> ago had an EMC storage array with 750 GB of storage in it....
>
> My new *laptop* has a drive that big in it.  I've got about 4 TB of
> storage here at home now.

The fun thing is, apparently SSD has

1. Reached price levels where Normal Humans can potentially afford them.

2. Reached capacities where you might actually buy this stuff.

Interesting times ahead, eh?

(Personally, I still can't figure out why SSD isn't several /million/
times faster than a mechanical spinning disk, but hey...)