POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure : Re: Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual Server Failure
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jan 2012 06:31:42
Message: <4f19509e$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/01/2012 11:20 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 20/01/2012 10:18 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>
>> Sure. But given that computers are very low-power devices, you don't
>> think of a computer plant as something requiring megawatts of power and
>> entire rooms of cooling equipment.
>
> I would not say that computers are *very* low-power devices. As it said
> in the article the containers have a power consumption that can reach
> 250 kilowatts. So you only need 4 containers to have to supply a
> megawatt of power. Then add the cooling requirements and the utilities
> and it all adds up.

Compared to an industrial cement kiln or a smelting works, a computer
uses virtually zero power.

The difference, of course, is that we're not talking about a computer.
We're talking about *thousands* of computers. Much like a light bulb
uses almost no power, but the entire Blackpool illuminations probably
use quite a bit of power...

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it's surprising.