POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Jan 2012 23:44:58
Message: <4f18f14a$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/19/2012 8:56 AM, Invisible wrote:
> All US
> financial institutions are barred from interacting with it (most
> specifically payment processing and advertising services).

This part I didn't know, and is even more fucked up. The rest... isn't
enforceable, and is absurd anyway. Most truly illegal shit is being done
on "darknets" now, networks that either operate only indirectly through
the regular network, or any completely independent of it. Second, as
long as some DNS, some place, provides the IP data to get to a site, all
you need to do is have your machine look at *that* DNS site for the
data, instead of the closest one. So, that is out. Its trivial to set up
a DNS, so, everyone with a damn computer could be running a sort of peer
to peer like background task, kind of like folding at home, which does
nothing but feed DNS data to every machine connected to it, so that
*any* machine with that installed on it could be polled to get the
correct IP to connect to the site. The level of complete stupidity in
the bill is astounding, even if you ignore the fact that the morons in
Congress and the Senate that originally backed it, where claiming,
probably due to not knowing any better, that it was, "bringing online
law into parity with the regular laws", despite the fact that I have
*never* heard of a law that basically requires that all access,
information on how to find, GPS, road signs, etc., a business must be
"removed", until innocence is proven, because some asshole renting space
in the building was selling fake Pokemon cards, or printing T-Shirt with
Lucas Art copyright material on it, or even bootlegging entire DVD
collections.

Last I checked, the non-online laws requires the people, once they find
out about it, to a) inform the cops, and/or b) kick the bastards out of
their building, not serve jail time for having accidentally allowed them
on their property, or, even stupider, allowing them to post the address
of their illegal business on the public advertisement board, in the
hallway. Parity my ass...

And its only funnier that one of the idiots supporting this thing was
found to have illegally used a copyrighted image on his own government
web page over the last 24 hours.