POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Cannot install for KDE : Re: Cannot install for KDE Server Time
2 May 2024 09:01:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cannot install for KDE
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Jan 2012 00:05:41
Message: <4f17a4a5$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:36:15 -0500, Cousin Ricky wrote:

>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:56:06 -0500, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>>
>> > It's blank.  I did find a directory .kde4 in my home directory, and I
>> > wonder if it's supposed to be set to that.
>>
>> I'm not sure, but a quick google search found a result that showed
>> KDEHOME pointed to a .kde2 directory in someone's home directory - I'd
>> try pointing it at that .kde4 directory and see if that works.  Seems a
>> reasonable thing to try.
>
> That didn't work.  I edited the install file to set KDEHOME directly,
> and it ran without errors.

In Linux, remember that just setting the variable in a terminal doesn't
get the setting to propagate to the parent environment.  You need to put
it in eg. the .bashrc file and then log out and back in - or set it in a
shell window, export it (if you're using bash), and then run the command
in the window.

Environment variables in Linux (and Unix, for that matter) can be a bit
tricky.  But if you don't do that, then when you run the program it isn't
going to see the variable and it'll behave as if it isn't set (because it
isn't in that particular terminal/shell).

But modifying the install file works. :)  I worked with a guy who said
when he was in the Army, his CO frequently said "if it's stupid but it
works, it ain't stupid." - while I don't think that's *always* the case,
it's certainly true a lot of the time. :)

Jim