POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it! : Re: Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:11:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Jan 2012 07:48:03
Message: <4f156e03$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 13.01.2012 16:29, Hildur K. wrote:
>

>> outside and
>> inside you have to use two different radiosity settings for each
>> situation.
>
> ...and as I aim at building consistent worlds which I would like to
> animate, this is a show-stopper! How can I move the camera from inside
> to outside (e. g. through an open door) without getting those weird
> brightness oscillations like with cheap digital cameras in video mode?

Not only cheap cameras you know. Watch any TV documentary and you will
see brightness adjustments being made while the camera moves from inside
to out or vice versa. In movies I suspect they avoid this by shooting
scenes either inside or outside and making the view through the window
artificial by using a backdrop for instance which they can tune to the
scene. By the way, there is a method to achieve this brought to us by
Tim Nikias back in 2005: www.nolights.de using his glare.inc macro for
creating a backdrop image. His example is the Waiting for Company scene.

> Thank you for your advice... but meanwhile, Thomas de Groot has provided
> me with some settings which work well both inside and outside... and
> render FAST, the "kitchen" scene takes only about 4 minutes on my Athlon
> 64 3500+!
...And I learned a lot about radiosity in version 3.6 from Hildur! :-)
Good to see you here again once in a while, Hildur!

Thomas