POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Wikipedia Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Wikipedia
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Jan 2012 04:37:57
Message: <4f13eff5@news.povray.org>
On 15/01/2012 07:11 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 1/15/2012 2:53, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Er, why would academics waste time on something as pointless as
>> Wikipedia?
>
> Why would academics waste time on determining the accuracy of
> non-peer-reviewed published distribution channels? Really? You didn't
> spend enough time in academia, I think. :-)

I wouldn't know about "academia" - I went to a crap university,
remember? Recall also that research is the thing I do worst.

That said, I would be surprised if any "serious" research had been done
in this direction. I know some people somehow manage to get funded to do
all kinds of ridiculous studies, and somebody might have managed to do a
joke study on Wikipedia, but I doubt much serious work has been done on
this.

>> Really? So paper encyclopedias are written by people with no domain
>> knowledge simply plucking facts out of thin air too?
>
> No, but neither are wikipedia articles, it seems.

Are you seriously suggesting that anything on Wikipedia is written by
somebody who has a clue?