POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure : Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Dual Server Failure
From: Tom Austin
Date: 13 Jan 2012 14:06:24
Message: <4f1080b0@news.povray.org>
OK this morning - the one morning that I slept in and went to work more
'on-time' we had a server failure.

Workstations could not access the file shares.

First step of action with windows - reboot.

Rebooting the Windows server caused it to die - literally.
Nothing on the screen - just some cryptic beeps.
After some looking - memory module went dead - of course it had to be
the 'big' one - so from 2.5 GB down to 1.5GB.....

Ok, so got that fixed.

Now bringing that back up - workstations still cannot access the file
server.

The Linux file server uses Winbind with Samba to authenticate with
domain credentials......  for some reason that is broken.

So I had the fun of on the fly configuring Samba to just share files
without much security.

So now the hunt - why did winbind die......