POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Wikipedia Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Wikipedia
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jan 2012 08:52:06
Message: <4f0ee586$1@news.povray.org>
>> I was literally reading about the various books of the Bible, and came
>> across this. Very random... I've never actually seen that before. (Then
>> again, I usually don't read popular pages.)
>
> This type of "Ha-ha! I made a funny edit in a Wikipedia page" usually
> get reverted pretty quick, especially on popular pages.

Took approximately 10 minutes, in fact. Which makes it all the more
surprising that I happened to hit the page within that 10-minute window.

Of course, if instead of inserting something obviously bogus, the person
had made several small factual edits which look superficially plausible,
you could slowly pollute large sections of Wikipedia with false data and
nobody would notice for a very long time.

This is why Wikipedia will /never/ be inerrant. ;-)