POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Internet comments Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Internet comments
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Jan 2012 23:17:31
Message: <4f0e5edb$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/11/2012 6:26 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Le 2012-01-10 22:33, Patrick Elliott a écrit :
>> On 1/10/2012 3:59 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> From where did he came, nothing is sure. Only the last 3 years of his
>>> life were dedicated to propaganda and sedition. It is also well-known
>>> that he frequented a whore (Marie Madeleine)... put that on the prudish
>>> and puritan Church. Coherency and consistency never make it inside
>>> dogma.
>>>
>> Actually, the whore thing is in dispute. As I said in another post, Mary
>> was such a common name at the time that it was used as a derogatory
>> statement when encountering Jewish women. If you go back to some of the
>> earliest translations, its fairly clear that there where in fact at
>> least "two" such Marys, one of them a follower, and the other some
>> random street whore, who decided to wash his feet. Even the chronology
>> makes no sense, if taken into account, with her being, seemingly
>> "unknown", wandering in off the street, and becoming so impressed she
>> had to wash his feet, **after** earlier parts of the same text, where
>> she is already mentioned as traveling with him (this makes no logical
>> sense, unless you get a later "edited" version, like the KJV, which
>> attempts, badly, to "fix" these little errors).
>>
>> The "Whore and follower, both" bit was created much later, as a means of
>> showing, even as they ignored it themselves, how much "purer" he was
>> than the rest of us (and, at least initially, to show how we needed to
>> be nice, even to bad people). By the time the puritans came along, it
>> was common to confuse them as the same person. The puritans themselves
>> are notable for taking the already distorted meaning of, "taking the
>> lords name in vein", and making it into cursing and using words that
>> involved bodily functions. The original meaning, BTW, was the use of
>> imprecatory prayer, to ask god to give them things, or curse others.
>> Hardly a surprise that "modern" Christians use prayer for almost bloody
>> nothing else. lol
>
> You mean like asking to win a football game?

Stupidest thing about it, when you get right down to it, is that most of
them pray for something like, "We need to find a cheap baby bed, please
god!", then go around physically from second hand store to second hand
store, looking for one, then praise god for having magically placed one
there. Want to impress me, ask him for a $20 baby bed, then only visit
some high end store, that sells them with gold leaf applied, and "succeed".

The ones that pray, instead of going to a doctor, especially when their
kid is sick.. are in my opinion, depraved, insane, **and** stupid.
Sadly, while the argument has been made that someone intentionally
killing their kid with a gun would be "immediately" assumed, even by
other believers, to be insane, not, "actually hearing god", killing them
"unintentionally", by believing completely insane things, and acting on
them, via neglect and denial, will get the same nutcase remanded to
someone's custody, put on probation, and left with how ever many other
kids they have popped out, to do it all over again.

I am not sure why the hell this is, but apparently it has something to
do with, "Not forcing people to abandon their faith, and respecting that
they have a strong conviction about it.", or something. Which, again,
makes no damn sense, if they where "insane" when using a shotgun, but
"sane" when using prayer, and forced fasting, to try to cure frakking
pneumonia. Something is badly wrong with **everyone's** priorities when
this is considered an "important difference" imho.