POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Internet comments Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Internet comments
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Jan 2012 22:36:45
Message: <4f0d03cd$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/10/2012 7:02 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>> I also gather that "Jesus" was a fairly common name too. Like, if I sat
>> down today and wrote a book about "John Smith", in 2,000 years' time
>> historians are going to have one *hell* of a time figuring out whether I
>> based it on a real person or not...
>>

> I read somewhere (assign a random value of factuality to that statement)
> that Jesus (or Yeshua) may have been a title or nickname, rather than
> his real name.

Doubt it. While Jewish names generally had meanings, they where not used
as titles. Given the time period it would be like, as Invisible said,
titling someone "John", and expecting anyone to not go, "Oh, I know him,
doesn't he make sandles two streets down that way?" His *title* was
Christ, or Messiah. Or at least, that is what they tacked on to what
ever imaginary person, or poor corpse, had the luck of "founding" the
things. lol