POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Internet comments Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Internet comments
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Jan 2012 22:33:17
Message: <4f0d02fd$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/10/2012 3:59 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>  From where did he came, nothing is sure. Only the last 3 years of his
> life were dedicated to propaganda and sedition. It is also well-known
> that he frequented a whore (Marie Madeleine)... put that on the prudish
> and puritan Church. Coherency and consistency never make it inside dogma.

Actually, the whore thing is in dispute. As I said in another post, Mary
was such a common name at the time that it was used as a derogatory
statement when encountering Jewish women. If you go back to some of the
earliest translations, its fairly clear that there where in fact at
least "two" such Marys, one of them a follower, and the other some
random street whore, who decided to wash his feet. Even the chronology
makes no sense, if taken into account, with her being, seemingly
"unknown", wandering in off the street, and becoming so impressed she
had to wash his feet, **after** earlier parts of the same text, where
she is already mentioned as traveling with him (this makes no logical
sense, unless you get a later "edited" version, like the KJV, which
attempts, badly, to "fix" these little errors).

The "Whore and follower, both" bit was created much later, as a means of
showing, even as they ignored it themselves, how much "purer" he was
than the rest of us (and, at least initially, to show how we needed to
be nice, even to bad people). By the time the puritans came along, it
was common to confuse them as the same person. The puritans themselves
are notable for taking the already distorted meaning of, "taking the
lords name in vein", and making it into cursing and using words that
involved bodily functions. The original meaning, BTW, was the use of
imprecatory prayer, to ask god to give them things, or curse others.
Hardly a surprise that "modern" Christians use prayer for almost bloody
nothing else. lol