POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Internet comments Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Internet comments
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Jan 2012 21:54:38
Message: <4f0cf9ee$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/10/2012 12:34 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 10/01/2012 04:36, Patrick Elliott a écrit :
>> and walking on water (or turning it into whine)
>
> I have explanation (or heresy) for that two, both due to bad translation
> (well, enhanced translation), and more:
>
> Laziness : walk on water; he took the road of water (he swam at worst,
> he might have know some spot where the river was not so deep) to get to
> the other side... whereas usual road on earth was longer.

Its also not an uncommon magic trick, involving a bit of prior
preparation, but where, unless someone walked the exact same path, its
not readily apparent there is a platform there.

> Turning water into whine: Assume you have a barrel of strong whine for
> twelve people, and usage is to never drink pure water (well, dirty water
> really), and the meal is going to have fifty people: dilute the whine
> with water, actually turning water into whine. A lighter lighter whine,
> but still whine.

No one seems to have drunk the whine, to make sure, so this also could
have been a trick, since there *is* a method that can turn water that
color, and give it a scent like whine. Its hard to say whether anyone
would have been dumb enough to drink "miracle water", instead of just
freaking over the effect. Even if they did, there are, as you say, ways
of faking it.

> Multiplication of bread: well, the word for multiplication might have a
> translation-side for division (indeed), he did not create more bread, he
> split the bread amongst the people. There was X breads (big size) and
> when done, every people (N people, N>>  X) had bread, a part of bread.
> (like milk: 1 bottle of milk can serve many glasses of milk)

Or, it could just be made up gibberish, like his supposed birth. Or, the
whole thing might have been, originally, a sort of scam by the Flavians,
and one author has suggested, to convince the Jews that Titus was the
"messiah" that they where waiting for, in their own book, and the stuff
in the NT where just parodies of those events in his own campaign. One
of the more interesting arguments the guy made was that "Mary" was
sometimes used, during the wars, as a sort of semi-derogatory name for
any Jewish women they ran across, to the blatant contradictions between
the three versions of the resurrection can be explained as a series of
linear events, in which all of the parties confuse each other for
various spirits, phantasm, etc., after the first bunch, who spotted it
open, actually confused which tomb they where looking at, and ran off
hysterically claiming he had risen from the dead. This would make Mary's
conflicting responses between them, and actions, that of "several"
random women, not one single person, and there conclusions a kind of
absurd circus, where they each played on the prior confused
observations, of entirely different groups of people. A key factor, for
example, being that, in one version, two people enter the tomb, and in
another one, two seemingly "glowing figures" are seen crouched over the
place the body was supposed to be, inside the same tomb. If you assume
that things happened like this:

1. Woman one runs off to tell someone the tomb is empty.
2. Two people got to check, and another women observes them going in,
and wanders off to tell people about it.
3. A bigger group, with yet another woman in it, who proclaims are
seeing angels in there, upon spotting the two people, possibly hit jut
right by early morning light, making the dust on and around them glow.

He claims that one key is that different words, in the original work,
are used to describe "when" each of these happened too, and they could
be interpreted to be, "before sun rise", "at sun rise (just as light is
visible, but the sun isn't)", and, "as the early light".

No idea if this is accurate. But, I have a certain personal love of the
idea that a large number of some of the bloody most ignorant people in
the US are basing their whole world view, quite appropriately, on
someone's satire.