POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Internet comments Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Internet comments
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jan 2012 15:31:36
Message: <4f0ca028$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:08:12 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> > Is there any evidence, beyond the circumstantial, that these things
>> > were stolen?
>
>> You mean beyond similarities between Christianity and religions that
>> pre-
>> date Christianity?
>
>   Even if Christianity was completely original and didn't use anything
>   at
> all from other religions, that wouldn't really change the question of
> its veracity, would it?

No, it wouldn't - but I don't think that was the point of John's question.

But yes, even if it was entirely unique, that wouldn't mean it was "true"
any moreso than the FSM is true.

>   Also, even if Christianity had many similarities to other religions,
>   it
> would be easy to explain from a Christian point of view: Satan likes to
> copy God's work in order to distort it and confuse people, and draw
> people away from the one true religion. There always is an explanation
> for everything.

Well, not an "explanation", but a rationalization that cannot be tested,
that's for certain.  I prefer to reserve the word "explanation" for
things that can be actually verified in the physical world.  There's no
physical evidence for God, Satan, guardian angels (or guardian angles -
as I've seen it written a few times <g>), nor any other supernatural
force or being.

Jim