POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Internet comments Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Internet comments
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 9 Jan 2012 11:12:22
Message: <4f0b11e6$1@news.povray.org>
Le 09/01/2012 16:31, Invisible a écrit :

> All of that aside, here's an interesting observation: There's no
> evidence that God exists. There's no evidence that Adam or Eve existed.

But we are playing "What if" game! Just assume that whatever fantasy is
true, then tell...

> In fact, a lot of people regard the entire Bible as something that
> should be in the "fiction" section. But think about this for a moment:
> the Bible *itself* most definitely *does* exist. It's a real book, and
> it has existed for a very long time.

can you define long time ?
The bible (which Bible ?) has been made as an assembly of various texts
from various sources, along various translation paths, which were highly
disputed at the beginning of the church (and some authors and sustaining
people were persecuted on that base, but often for other hidden
political reasons. It was a time where you would have to be more than
prudent on the texts you would advertised as true. Including the
subtleties of the interpretation, and taking reserves about such great
scholars which did a translation... sometime to push some actual agenda
for temporal things... often to push some actual agenda indeed.)

Whatever is called the "New Testament" is just the final result of that
evolution. About the "Old testament"... it should be, as of Jewish
sources, in Hebraic texts (Torah ?). All other transcriptions are
subject to translation shift. And the issue with Hebraic text, IIRC, is
that they did not write the vowels, so it might also be interpreted.
(and do not forget the temporal distortion either: meaning of words do
evolve with time). Changing a noun in an adjective or a verb might
really changes the meaning.