POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens : Re: Don't mess with Internet comments Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't mess with Internet comments
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jan 2012 10:31:12
Message: <4f0b0840$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/01/2012 09:59 AM, Warp wrote:

> http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/04/how_to_frustrate_an_evangelica.php

I couldn't bring myself to actually watch the video - the still shot was
enough to convince me that it would probably be horrifying.

How many of you guys read all 2000+ comments? The first few hundred are
just people congratulating the guy for making Mr Bible look like the
idiot he is - although, as somebody pointed out, Mr Bible doesn't seem
to notice he's being beaten, and the regular listeners probably thing Mr
Bible actually won. This seems to be the thing with these bible people,
see - you beat them, and then they celebrate for having "won" the
argument. (WTF?) Maybe it's a belief thing.

But further down, people start writing utterly crazy stuff. I find
myself literally uttering the phrase "can't tell if trolling or just
stupid?" For example, one guy wrote some long [and poorly formatted]
post to the effect of

   "Hahaha! I can't believe you stupid fools thing that the delusion of
evolution is true. No thinking person could possibly take such nonsense
seriously. You people need to lose your dogmatic religion and go learn
some science!"

I honestly can't decide whether this person is just writing obviously
inflammatory comments to try to start an argument, or whether they're
actually stupid enough to genuinely believe what they're saying.

Another commenter wrote something that amounts to "I don't understand
why you non-believers are so aggressive towards honest Christians like
myself who honestly just want to help you". To which somebody replied
that nobody gets beaten to death for wearing a Holy Cross, but saying
that you don't believe in Jesus is likely to result in your untimely
demise in certain places in America. (!!)

All of that aside, here's an interesting observation: There's no
evidence that God exists. There's no evidence that Adam or Eve existed.
In fact, a lot of people regard the entire Bible as something that
should be in the "fiction" section. But think about this for a moment:
the Bible *itself* most definitely *does* exist. It's a real book, and
it has existed for a very long time.

That's kind of interesting.

The contents of the Bible may or may not be real, but the book itself is
quite real. Interestingly, according to Wikipedia (which is inerrant),
it seems that at least a few of the things in the Bible might actually
be true. In particular, there might actually have been a real person
actually called Jesus, who at least /claimed/ to be a messenger of God.