POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How random... : Re: How random... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How random...
From: John VanSickle
Date: 7 Jan 2012 08:25:11
Message: <4f0847b7$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/6/2012 9:48 AM, Paul Fuller wrote:

> I saw an early hardware RNG device that relied on thermal noise. It was
> about the size of a microwave oven. Most of it was I think to ensure
> that the noise source was kept in a very narrow temperature range so
> that physical randomness was never biased. One of these was hooked up to
> the Internet and you could get the random stream. Sort of defeats many
> of the possible uses of randomness when everybody can see the same
> stream. But for simulations and testing algorithms it was useful I guess.

When I was a cryptographic maintenance technician in the USAF, I did
work on one piece of gear which actually generated random bits, using
the thermal noise from a component chosen for this task.  The voltage
bias on the components had to be within precise limits.  I forget
exactly what the random bits were used for.  I recall that we were told
in no uncertain terms not to fiddle with any of the circuitry involved;
if it didn't work, we simply pulled the circuit card and sent it back to
the depot.  For the rest of the equipment, we troubleshot down to the
component level.  The equipment was phased out around 1990.

Regards,
John