POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How random... : Re: How random... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How random...
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jan 2012 11:26:32
Message: <4f0720b8$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/01/2012 04:14 PM, Paul Fuller wrote:
> Thanks for the info on Ivy Bridge. I haven't looked at processor
> generations for a while.

One of the annoying things about this stuff is that if you stop paying
attention for a while, it becomes nearly impossible to easily get back
up to speed. Plenty of places will tell you about the latest and
greatest up-to-the-minute developments, but if you haven't been
following recently, you won't have the context to know WTF they're
talking about. Nothing seems to provide that context. Nothing that I've
discovered, anyway.

> Rendering is the only thing that is really processor bound and I don't
> do much of that lately.

I do quite a bit of rendering, and I *have* been doing it recently. ;-)
Also, my current PC seems to be slowly dying. (!) My sister got me a
shiny new CPU for Christmas, I already have the motherboard, so now I
just need to buy an OS...

> On a meta-question - Why not post a brief summary when you provide a
> link?

Eh, I don't know. I was just being playful really. It's a random link to
a paper about randomness. It amused me.

But yeah, sure. For most of the things I post, the description could be
absolutely anything and nobody would be interested. I guess I'm just a
really boring person...