POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black box : Re: Black box Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black box
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Jan 2012 22:30:40
Message: <4f051960$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/3/2012 8:49 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 1/1/2012 21:14, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> include, "It feels like its true, or makes me happy.", as a valid
>> criteria
>> for testing an ideas validity,
>
> To be fair, when the idea you're testing is "how can I be happy", this
> makes perfect sense.

Usually its not though. Its quite often, "if it makes me happy,
shouldn't it make everyone else?" The logical answer is, "not
necessarily", the believers answer is, "of course, they just don't yet
comprehend how to be happy the way I am, so I need to make them." That
your basic assumptions may be wrong, those being that a) it would make
others happy, and b) your not just happy because your slightly nuts, may
be wrong is only part of the problem. There is the whole, "If I force
this one someone, will they be happy, even if I am right?", question can
be kind of important too. Sometimes, even if the answer to the later is,
"no, they wouldn't be", its short term pain, but if one, or both, of
your prior premises are wrong, and a lot of other people not being happy
*while* living under the same assumptions may be a hint there is a
problem, then you can also, logically, end up with long term unhappiness
too.

As a rule, such questions are not asked, assumed to already be answered,
or waved away as, "Not understanding how my exactly identical gibberish
is superior to that other persons gibberish, so you will be happy with
mine, even though you are not with their." Its got bells on it, or
something, so its, like, you know, different and stuff... lol