POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Net Questions : Re: More Net Questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Net Questions
From: Tom Austin
Date: 3 Jan 2012 13:29:17
Message: <4f0348fd$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/3/2012 9:21 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Do not assume anything. Cabling conduits sometimes take funky routes
> around (or into... but that's a big fire hazard!) ventilation ducts,
> plumbing, elevator shafts, etc... I've seen cables strung as tight as
> piano wire, I've seen bundles of cables thrown under the floors because
> the cabling guys were too lazy to cut them to the proper lengths, I've
> seen attack ship fire off the shoulder of Orion...

Our own guys wired the building when they moved in way back - ~1999.
While likely not the best installation it wasn't the worst either.  It
is amazing what a bunch of engineers that don't know what htey are doing
can do?

>> My thought is that the bandwidth that these things use is small enough
>> as to not impact usability. We have never seen things like this impact
>> the network before.
>>

> Things have certainly improved since Doom 1.1 wrecked havoc on company
> LANs in the early 90s, but it's always a good think to know what's out
> there and be ready to limit extra-curricular activies, if it's
> preventing people from working.

Always on the mind - always keeping an eye out for it.  Conceptually it
doesn't seem top be the problem, but I am no network expert.

>> Our pipe to the internet is 50/10 and is pretty consistent - but that
>> should not overly impact server-client speeds in out office - should it?
>>

> Unless someone has gotten access to your server and is running a proxy
> from it, no.

In the office there are no worries, but from out the office - we have
always tried to have a decent firewall between us and the internet.  But
that is never a guarantee.  Doesn't seem like something weird is running
- but I am not a network/computer expert.