POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Net Questions : Re: More Net Questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Net Questions
From: Tom Austin
Date: 3 Jan 2012 13:23:02
Message: <4f034786$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/3/2012 9:12 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>>> And by that, I mean "hot-standby". I Should have proof-read...
>>>

>> I picked up on that - is there a 'safe' setup that would allow ganging
>> of ports like I have?
>>

> Look into LACP (IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol). Both
> your NICs and the swith need support it (and be configured for it,
> obviously!) Cisco also has proprietary equivalents (EtherChannel and
> PAgP) that are sometimes supported by third party hardware.

I found a bit of time and put our switch into managed mode and R some of TM.

Looks like it supports "Link Aggregate Groups".

The linux box is set up with aggregation already - ethernet bonding with
round-robin - actually pretty cool setup that I figured out when I set
it up.

The switch and linux box are pre 2008 so they don't support the 802.1 -
but should do the 802.3ad.

Some reading shows that I should be able to link the 2 server ports on
the switch - don't know if it will make much difference but it seems
like it is the way it should be.

Will have to try it in the morning when no-one is in the office.