POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The future seems so grim : Re: The future seems so grim Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future seems so grim
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Jan 2012 00:46:04
Message: <4f01449c@news.povray.org>
On 1/1/2012 2:14 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:

>> That's not particularly logical, John.  If one changes a variable, then
>> the outcome changes.
>
> I think you both agree... somehow.
> John states that the climate's rules are not changed (the reactions
> remain the same, the rules of physics are not updated).
> Jim states that the outcome will be different because the input
> variables are differents.
>
> To simplify, assume climate is a function f(x):= 3*x.
>
> John states: f(x) remains unchanged.
> Jim states: x was pi, next it is 4.
>
> Both are corrects. old f(x) was 3 pi. new f(x) will be 12.
Yeah, but, we are talking about something more complex than that.
Something that, within certain constraints, has a stable result, but
which can get far more complex, and seemingly chaotic, if you change the
variables too much. Its not like we don't know of, or see, types of
whether that is unusual any place. For example, from what I understand
there is a certain kind if high altitude cloud that is very rare, and so
high that, at night it is visible, due to reflecting sunlight from
around the curvature of the earth (where its not obviously visible from
the ground). This is, supposedly becoming more common in the last decade
or so. While it may be true that the fundamental laws stay the same, you
have two major problems. The first one is, certain uncommon results can
become more common. The second one is, if those uncommon events have
secondary effects, such as disturbing other nearby weather systems,
which they wouldn't normally, or as much, the resulting change is no
longer predictable, given *expected* results from such proximities.