POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black box : Re: Black box Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black box
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Dec 2011 22:38:21
Message: <4effd52d$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/31/2011 2:51 AM, Warp wrote:
>    The explanation seems to be that religious people have this notion that
> "revelations" are as good as the "prophets" that deliver them. If the prophet
> himself is somehow objectionable, then his message is objectionable too.
> Hence if you discredit the prophet, you discredit the message.

Yeah, that is pretty much it. That people had worked out some bits
before, that a lot of people, including some of the worst of them,
didn't like his version, precisely because there was no hierarchy of
ascent to it, etc., doesn't matter. That he was wrong about a mess of
stuff, and had no explanation for some of the other ideas, doesn't
matter. We say Darwin, so they assume Darwinism, and thus, *he* lies at
the center of the whole thing. Its kind of like if they objected to
Newton, so ignored Einstein, because they figured all the stuff they
don't like about gravity could be solved by attacking only Newton, and
not *every single person since*, never mind before.

But, I have kind of wondered about the rise of idiocy. It didn't seem to
exist in my parents generation. Penn pegged it in this video, I think:

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/30/penn-jillette-an-atheists-g.html

Basically, prior to the need for the true nuts of religion to band
together, they where scared to death of each other. You didn't dare say
you where a protestant during an election, without risking every
Catholic, and Baptist, and who knows who ever else, probably throwing
their vote at someone else instead. So, they took something that never
really existed, not really even when it was founded, and made Christian
a magic word. If you are one, it doesn't matter any more what you
disagree about, even if the disagreement is so serious that you might be
shooting each other, instead of suggesting shooting gays, or Muslims,
instead. It only matters that you belong to one of the thousands of
variations, and the one you are in happens to be part of the 50% willing
to go along with insane shit, or the 10% that actually believe
completely contradictory, and mutually exclusive, crazy shit. Against
the rest of the world, you fall under the magic, never before there,
tent, called "Christian". They can, in effect, blow each other to shit
over whether magic underwear, magic crackers, or magic bath water, is
more important, after they are done shitting on everyone else over the
"bigger" things.

We where better off where there was mutual fear between them, in some
respects. In other ways, blatant, and constant, insanity is weakening
their numbers, and if, as in the 1950, your "denomination" still
mattered, Atheism would, as Penn says, outnumber the membership of
*every* individual religious cult out there. Its only their redefinition
of their magic word, which not one bloody one of them actually thinks
means the same thing at all, that makes them a majority.