POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The future seems so grim : Re: The future seems so grim Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future seems so grim
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 Dec 2011 16:29:22
Message: <4eff7eb2@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:31:06 -0500, John VanSickle wrote:

> I see no *conclusive* evidence that the world's climate will behave any
> differently in the next fifty years than it has in the previous fifty.

There's something of a fallacy here - that science has to provide
'conclusive' proof of anything before it's taken seriously.

There's overwhelming evidence to support the idea that the world is
warming.  Even studies funded by climate change deniers (the recent one
funded by the Koch bros. for example) show that the world is warming.

*Absolute* proof is not the standard in scientific research.  A
preponderance of the evidence is, but in actual scientific research, it's
also common to provide counter-evidence.

Jim