POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The future seems so grim : Re: The future seems so grim Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future seems so grim
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Dec 2011 17:36:23
Message: <4efb99e7$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/28/2011 1:59 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 06:18:52 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> - The climate is going so bad that in 50 to 100 years we will most
>> probably be totally screwed, if not even sooner. And humanity is doing
>> little to help this, even though it's a very well known problem.
>
> You seem to have forgotten that any problems there are in the world can
> just be wished away.  Nobody has to do anything, just pray hard enough
> and the problem will be solved.
>
> That's what works here in the US.  I guess the rest of the world just
> hasn't caught up with us.  *Faith* is the one true solution to any
> problem, not hard work or study/evaluation of alternative solutions.
>
> Just wait and the problem will solve itself.
>
> Jim
Largest growing denominations in the US are the "I don't feel like
telling you what my religion is", and, atheist. The people that most
strongly agree with corporate personhood, big oil, and the non-existence
of climate change are currently doing a damn fine job of looking like
the circus clowns, all trying to jam into a clown car, and the biggest
worry is that the unpredictability of voters will mean that, with no
sane alternative, they will vote for the insane one, just to get rid of
the one that has been blocked, challenged, lied about, lied too, etc.,
since before he even got in office.

So.. Its really a case of, "Is it too little awareness, too late.", or
worse, "With the ship sinking, will the population decide that the best
solution is to drill holes in the bottom, to let the water out." One
almost hopes that its neither, but would very much prefer the first
option, since at least *something* might be salvaged, even if its late
starting, where as the last option... well, we are a species that, as
the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series points out, have to put
instructions on a box of damn toothpicks.