POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black box : Re: Black box Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black box
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Dec 2011 17:28:36
Message: <4efb9814$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/28/2011 3:23 AM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid XP v8<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> On the other hand, reading Molecular Biology of the Gene [Watson et al]
>> left me uninterested, yet reading Darwin's Black Box showed me just how
>> interesting molecular biology is, and gave me decent intuitive
>> metaphores for how this stuff actually works - something which the dense
>> scientific reference text did not.
>
>    If you want to read two interesting books about biology and science,
> try "The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins and "The Demon Haunted
> World" by Carl Sagan.

Another one, like "The Demon Haunted World", which is interesting, is
Paranormality, but Richard Wiseman. He also has a couple others out, "59
Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot", which goes into why self help is
usually useless, and what sort of things, based on how people do think,
would be more effective, and "Quirkology", which covers some seriously
goofy studies that have been done over the years, which do a fair job of
dispelling the suggestion that the average person is *at all* rational,
outside of where they have to be to get something accomplished (and not
even always then).