POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black box : Re: Black box Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black box
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Dec 2011 17:23:38
Message: <4efb96ea$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/28/2011 3:12 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> On 23/12/2011 03:24 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Yesterday, I burned my copy of Darwin's Black Box. Just so you know.
>
> They say every cloud has a silver lining. And in a sense, I guess that's
> true.
>
> Darwin's Black Box is a book written by an ignorant man trying to bully
> you into believing his fantasies, using the flimsiest of logic. (I gave
> up approximately when he started arguing that the definition of
> "science" is too limiting... Anyone who doesn't understand what science
> is has no business calling themselves a scientist, in my view.)
>
> On the other hand, reading Molecular Biology of the Gene [Watson et al]
> left me uninterested, yet reading Darwin's Black Box showed me just how
> interesting molecular biology is, and gave me decent intuitive
> metaphores for how this stuff actually works - something which the dense
> scientific reference text did not.

Not that I would bet on the intuitive metaphors of some clown trying to
argue against its corner stone, as useful. Its far more likely that
their metaphors are just as useless as their arguments (due to being
based on entirely flawed assumptions). Way too much of science ends up
in a category of, "counter intuitive", like the absurd idea that you
would need to chop up 50 feet of rope, with DNA written on it, to get 3
inches of code. Intuitively, this is completely idiotic, since no sane
*person* would make something like that. And, the "intuitive"
assumption, made by people that write these sorts of books, tends to be
that you have something that looks more like a book chapter, rather than
an fragmented hard drive, which someone dumped gigs of empty file
fragments into, before asking the system to seek all the bits and pieces
scattered between them, over 50% of the entire drive surface. lol

That sort of thing, and other such stuff, is "unnatural" to these sorts
of people, so can't possibly be, you know, how nature actually does
stuff. Sadly, if they where looking at certain viruses, or single cell
organisms, which lack mitochondria, they would be correct. Its just,
species with lots of bloody extra energy available to process DNA and
RNA turn into the genetic equivalent of hoarders.