POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The future seems so grim : The future seems so grim Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  The future seems so grim
From: Warp
Date: 28 Dec 2011 06:18:52
Message: <4efafb1c@news.povray.org>
Why does it feel like the near future is going to suck hard? Let's see:

- The climate is going so bad that in 50 to 100 years we will most probably
be totally screwed, if not even sooner. And humanity is doing little to help
this, even though it's a very well known problem.

- There's little question anymore that the global economy is going to crash
hard in the very near future. We are most probably facing an economic crisis
which will rival or even surpass the big one in the 1920's. At least here in
Finland there have already been prospects of Finland going back to the old
currency (Finnish marks) if the euro plummets. And what's worse, rather than
trying to do something about it, apparently the big money institutions are
doing all this *on purpose*.

- We are going to run out of oil in the near fugure. We know this, and we
know that when it happens, the economy will collapse even harder. The
economic crisis of the 1920's will be child's play in comparison. Yet we
are not doing anything about it.

- One of the most influential countries in the world (a country that
heavily influences the economy and politics of the rest of the world),
namely the United States, seems to be going down hard in politics,
science and education. It's showing troubling signs of turning into a
theocracy-like totalitarian state in the near future. The very basics
of constituational freedoms in the US have been eroded one by one during
the last decade, and it seems to only be spiraling down. (Just as one
example, seems like most of the presidential candidates are religious
nutjobs who want to make it legal for states to outlaw same-sex
relationships, abortions, the teaching of evolution, and so on.)

- European countries have also been steadily going downwards in terms of
freedom, democracy and the wellbeing of its citizens, also mostly for
religious reasons. However, in this case the religion is not Christianity
but naive multiculturalism. A revolution (to either direction of the
political spectrum) is inevitable in the near future.

- Large companies, especially those ones having intellectual properties,
and especially the American ones, are slowly trying to take over the world.
The SOPA is just one of the latest and most egregious attempts at controlling
and even shutting down the internet. These companies have even gone so far
as to demand a foreign country to extradit one of that country's citizens
because he *linked* to copyrighted material. That's right: He didn't even
*distribute* copyrighted material, he simply *linked* to it, and now the
property owners are demanding a foreign country to extradit this person so
that he can be put in jail in the United States. This is how bold and
egregious these companies have become about copyright.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_O%27Dwyer)

  Sometimes I'm glad I don't have children. I don't have to worry about
them growing in a world that is plummeting fast into total chaos.

--
                                                          - Warp