POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black box : Re: Black box Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black box
From: Warp
Date: 28 Dec 2011 03:18:30
Message: <4efad0d6@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> On 12/27/2011 4:55 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> > Some questions earned the pinnacle status of double-drink question.  Examples:
> > "Why do atheists come to the Religion section?"  "Why do Catholics worship
> > Mary?"  "If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"  That last
> > question really belongs in the Biology room, but young-Earth creationists aren't
> > known for keeping their domains straight.  Bottoms up twice!
> >
> Yeah, its right up there in the logic level with, "If motorcycles where
> based on bicycles, why are their still bicycles?", and similar
> stupidities. Not just wrong category, but just.. like why they hell not?
> Just because some of them got smarter meant that somehow the original
> niche they filled disappeared? Brainless...

  It's actually it's wronger than that. According to cladistics(*) humans
did not "evolve from monkeys". Instead, humans and monkeys have a common
ancestor species. This ancestor species probably looked more like a monkey
than a human, but was still relatively different from either.

  (Also, apes are more closely related to humans than monkeys. It seems that
creationists and other people who want to mock the theory of evolution
deliberately use the more distantly related monkeys more as a mockery than
anything else. According to cladistics humans and apes have a common ancestor
species, which in turn has a common ancestor species with monkeys.)

(*) Unlike most creationists and many other people think, the theory of
evolution does not say what species humans evolved from. The theory of
evolution describes the mechanism, not the history of evolution. For the
history you need to turn to paleontology and cladistics.

--
                                                          - Warp