POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Povray: the benefits : Re: Povray: the benefits Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray: the benefits
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Dec 2011 18:00:09
Message: <4ef8fc79$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/25/2011 3:30 PM, Mr wrote:
> I just like to choose the best available open source alternatives - feature-wise
> and *try to adapt* to them. I also like to combine them, and feel very sad for
> all the proselytism from each and every community that leads them to ignore the
> benefits from some other; mostly did you know that in the Blender community
> almost nobody knows of the POV-Ray 3.7 version, they all believe that the
> software has been stuck years ago and prefer to invest time into bridging
> software like Sunflow, which has been declared dead by its authors, or Cycles,
> which is declared immature for a long time to come yet by its authors, than POV.
> I am glad that on the contrary you guys did try the latest version of Blender.
> Your reactions show that Blender's main weakness is documentation, (POV, has one
> of the best around, thanks to Jim H and other contributors).

Its not just documentation though, its also UI design, which I know is
being worked on, and logic of features, in some cases. I can open nearly
any image editor, and have a clue what I am doing. I can open most 3D
applications, and have some general idea what is going on. Blender does
a bloody lot of stuff in... odd ways. In terms of features though, I
biggest issue comes down to being able to color/paint on, faces. Why?
Because I may still be using an external editor, like Photoshop, to do
the texture, but I need to be able to, while in 3D, actually do the
markup. Examples: Which faces are actually part of which things on the
object? If I plan to put a panel/hatch, etc. on the side, where on the
side is it, and what is the side, in the first place? If I do place it,
which side is up, or am I going to have to flip it, and move it around a
bunch, before I know its in the right place? Its not enough to be able
to sloppily paint things, you need to have the capacity to say, draw a
box on one face, or even across several, so it shows up where it is
supposed to on the unwrapped UV map, and so you know what you are doing
in the image editor, when you get there.

Mind, this would be a lot easier too if you could have the unwrapped
mesh show, kind of like you would make a transparency cutout in
Photoshop, so that you could slide your image around "under it". I.e.,
move another smaller image around on the UV map, where the mesh
structure itself acts as a mask, to place it, before backing a final result.

For texture editing, something like that would be a lot easier to work
with, and make a lot more sense, than the sort of gross spray paint
effects available.

But that isn't the only case where things are just odd. A lot of it
comes down to things not working like the person who is trying to use
the feature *expects*, based on the use of other applications, or the
specific task they are attempting. I am sure, if I had been working with
it from day one, and the people that developed it, I probably wouldn't
find a problem with it. But then, people that used Wordstar couldn't
comprehend why anyone would want to use Wordperfect either, or people
that use EMACS for coding (and other things) see someone using something
like Scite. Documentation only sort of fixes the problem.

And, to be sure, it doesn't fix it at all if, for example, between 2.59
and 2.6, the book that was supposed to cover the new GUI features in 2.6
doesn't look anything like what the GUI ended up changing to. :p I ran
into that one while trying to work out how to use some of the texture
features. The explanation for what its supposed to do is confusing
enough, but things that are supposed to be there are not, maybe, in some
case, because they didn't make sense, and if you don't know what its
*supposed to do*, you can't tell if your doing something wrong, or its
working right, and just not doing what you thought it was supposed to.

Yeah, better documentation would help, but as someone that tried
following a relatively simple tutorial 2-3 times (on bending something
or other), without getting the same results (and this was using a
version that didn't have GUI changes yet), while thinking, "If I could
afford Rhino, I could do this in 10 seconds.", more documentation
wouldn't have been all that encouraging.

I like my learning curves shallow, for the stuff that should be simple.
I don't mind so much if its something no one else is doing at all, but
with Blender, all of it tends to be, "Why does this work this way, or am
I just thinking its supposed to work some other way, because that is how
everything else I ever used did it?" Makes for some hair pulling. lol