POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black box : Re: Black box Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black box
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Dec 2011 12:01:46
Message: <4ef4b3fa$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/12/2011 04:12 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid XP v8<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Yesterday, I burned my copy of Darwin's Black Box. Just so you know.
>
>> I guess I could have just thrown it away. But I was worried that
>> somebody might, you know, read it...

>    The creationist way of thinking seems to be: "Hah. These two examples
> clearly show that the theory of objects falling down is bollocks. That's
> enough for me."

"Quod enim mavult homo versus esse id porteous credit."

For what a man wishes to be true, that he more readily believes.

Nobody is lobbying Congress to say that the second law of thermodynamics
is wrong. (And there are actual, valid scientific difficulties with that
one.) Nobody is calling for Maxwell's equations to be taken out of the
school curriculum because "a growing [but unamed] body of scientists
doubt the validity of it". Einstein's theories of relavitivy claim that
all sorts of mind-bending things are supposed to be possible, yet nobody
objects.

And yet, the second you say that The Holy Bible is wrong... suddenly
this crap happens.

It's not that these people misunderstand science or aren't good at
logical reasoning. It's that they don't *care* about science - they just
desperately want everyone to believe in the Bible. Scientists start from
the facts, apply logic and end up with a conclusion. These people dearly
want a particular conclusion, and will invent any spurious chain of
logic which leads to the desired conclusion.

Rational debate is futile. These people do not care about being
rational. They only care about making everybody believe their story.
Because it doesn't really /matter/ what the truth is, so long as they
can go along happy in the knowledge that they were right, and everyone
believes them.

Rational debate may, however, work on innocent people who have
mistakenly fallen for this BS...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/