POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Network Slowdown Question : Re: Network Slowdown Question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network Slowdown Question
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 22 Dec 2011 10:17:36
Message: <4ef34a10$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2011-12-21 18:35, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:15:01 -0500, Tom Austin wrote:

>>> With network problems, I tend to start with a sniffer to see if there's
>>> something weird going on on the network.  If you can determine the
>>> source of the delays (like a name lookup failure/retry cycle, lots of
>>> CRC errors or other issues that are causing problems), that can often
>>> point to a hardware issue or some other cause that you hadn't
>>> considered.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>

>> Wireshark has been suggested - I may look into trying it if I get the
>> time.
>
> That's a good one, and the one I use.  I find it's better to do this
> rather than try to guess - it can save time spent looking at blinkenlights
> on switches and whatnot, because it tells you exactly what's happening on
> the wire.
>
> Jim

Keep in mind that in a switched environment, the switch will only send
the packets that your workstation should see (i.e.: packets intended for
you and broadcasts/multicasts).  Without configuring the switch for
port-replication, you will not be able to see everything that goes on in
the network.

In other words, take automatic diagnostics of "high level of broadcasts
from XYZ" with a grain of salt since - by design - it's the only frames
coming from that station that you will see.