POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : kind of Mercator : Re: kind of Mercator Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kind of Mercator
From: clipka
Date: 22 Dec 2011 01:06:10
Message: <4ef2c8d2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.12.2011 21:06, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 20/12/2011 09:35, Le_Forgeron nous fit lire :
>> Le 20/12/2011 01:42, clipka a écrit :
>>> FYI, the projection you used is not a transverse Mercator, but Cassini
>>> (aka transverse equirectangular projection). Mercator would project your
>>> "outer equator" into infinity,
>
> Yep, now that's Mercator, using a square map (and aspect ratio 1:1).

Ah, yes, Mercator: The only map projection that's absolutely uselsess
except for the single purpose of Navigating from A to B using nothing
but a compass. (And from what I know it's also the only projection that
does fit this purpose.)

You seem to have placed blue caps at the poles; is it a mere coincidence
that they're just the right size to show up on the northern and southern
edges of the map?