POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : a little subsurface : Re: a little subsurface Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a little subsurface
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 21 Dec 2011 12:25:21
Message: <4ef21681$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/20/2011 11:10 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 20.12.2011 23:01, schrieb Jim Holsenback:
>> I found some pretty cool models http://www.archibase.net/gdl?category=0
>> (mostly 3ds format) so I had to use Poser to get them in mesh2 ... well
>> after these great first pass subsurface results I just had to share. Not
>> to bad ... eh! This scene is going to be fun. I'm thinking something off
>> camera right (lined up with the light source) ... semi transparent so it
>> throws some color onto the floor. A plant in a clay pot, background
>> left. Since my environment is the same hdr (I've been getting plenty of
>> mileage so what the heck, right) I think I'll dial up the reflection
>> here and there, ahhhh ... the possibilities.
>
> Looks great! The subsurface parameters (or something else I can't point
> my finger at) make it appear quite small though; I'd estimate it at some
> 20 cm in height. Maybe even 10 cm - just the right size to be the queen
> in an exquisite set of chess figures.

yeah ... I've found that mm_per_unit 40 is a fairly good starting point.
you can most generally see if you need to go higher or lower easy
enough. given the scale I'm working with I'd say maybe even triple that
might not be to out of line. I'll probably end up doing a couple of half
step runs between 40 and 120 to see where I end up.