POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Povray: the benefits : Re: Povray: the benefits Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray: the benefits
From: John VanSickle
Date: 15 Dec 2011 14:55:59
Message: <4eea50cf$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/6/2011 6:21 AM, gregjohn wrote:
> "gregjohn"<pte### [at] yahoocom>  wrote:
>> Povray: what's it good for?
>>

> Thanks for all the discussion.  But pretty much everyone is touting the beauty
> of povray in "the way *I* use it". But no one really answered the question as to
> the guy from the audience.  If you model something in 3DS or Blender, what is
> the specific benefit of porting to povray?  "Best Renderer Evah!!!!!" is
> probably the gist of the answer: I want details.

POV-Ray's scene description language is very adept for modeling and
rendering objects that are made up of spheres, tori, cylinders, cones,
boxes, and the like.  However, the SDL is not very good at representing
organic shapes like humans and animals.

Therefore many users develop the organic characters in a modeling
application and export it to POV-Ray, and then incorporate that exported
model into a POV-Ray scene that also contains models that the SDL does well.

Regards,
John