POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If infomercials were true... : Re: If infomercials were true... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If infomercials were true...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Dec 2011 21:21:35
Message: <4ee959af$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/14/2011 3:12 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 13/12/2011 08:08 PM, Warp wrote:
>> ... then we would have long ago gone extint as a species, because even
>> the simplest of tasks are exceedingly difficult to perform properly.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08xQLGWTSag
>
> I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that most if not all of these
> are American. Occasionally you see American adverts on UK TV, and you
> can always spot them very easily. The appalling narration is usually the
> first clue. The curiously poor picture quality is the second. And the
> utter ineptitude of the people shown is the third. And yet somehow, by
> brandishing some product which /clearly/ doesn't work and is nothing but
> wildly overpriced junk, the task in question suddenly becomes trivial.

Hmm. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that the only
American commercials that end up in the UK are from the people that SNL
made fun of via the "Spishak" skits, in which they tried to sell people
everything from, "Home dentistry kits", to, "Its both a dessert topping
and a floor wax!" Sadly, I also suspect that, if its being shown there,
that there are in fact enough morons in the UK to make it worth trying
to sell it too.

Mostly, these sorts show up on second hand channels, or late night,
usually, not during the day time. Though, sadly, people seem to have
gotten stupid enough here that you have started seeing them in the day
too. Mostly, we have a crazy lady, who looks and acts like she was out
of a sock hop, selling the same sort of, "compare prices on insurance",
type thing. Or the one where they have a group of people talking about
what their's covers, while a room full of animals stand in as, "The
things that are likely to jump out in front of your car." Oh, and, of
course, the famous Geiko Gecko. In other words, the same sort of bizarre
shit you see in the UK in commercials.

The low quality ones are made either by people trying to con you into
the latest fad, or by 1-2 companies that have about half useless junk,
and half, "That sort of is handy", and specialize in basically
producing, and patenting, what ever odd idea, goofy idea, or maybe
usable thing people come up with, but can't, themselves, afford to
produce, market and sell. Its not all bad, but a lot of it will sell for
$9.95 now, and $1 in some place like The Dollar Store, in a few years
(assuming it doesn't cost more than that to make the damn things). lol