POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Daily life in Gancaloon: At the Jackal (wip 5) : Re: Daily life in Gancaloon: At the Jackal (wip 5 corrected) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Daily life in Gancaloon: At the Jackal (wip 5 corrected)
From: Ive
Date: 13 Dec 2011 06:42:45
Message: <4ee73a35@news.povray.org>
Am 13.12.2011 09:12, schrieb Thomas de Groot:

>> Especially given that this render uses poor AA.
>
> Why? Not that poor, though.

The staircases? See attachment. Even more prominent at the sunlight
shadows from the facade beams.

>> And for the reflection, hmm, I might be mistaken, but I would expect it
>> to look different, especially where I think the sky or one of the
>> opposite white walls from the houses are reflected. My starting point
>> for ceramic floor tiles would be something like reflection {0 0.8
>> fresnel on metallic 0.1} (ideally it would be {0 1 fresnel on ... the
>> 0.8 is only to assume a layer of dust/dirt).
>
> 0.8?! I use 0.05 as otherwise the tiles are much too reflective for my
> taste. 0.8 gives the tiles a mirror aspect which I certainly do not
> want. See image with 0.8 instead of 0.05.
> I might increase that value a bit though.... ;-)

Well, I said "starting point" and not that I would leave it this way ;)

I just checked it out in our kitchen and the tiles *are* becoming a
perfect mirror (slightly blurred though) and their own colors and
ornamentation gets completely lost.

So the high reflection does not look *that* wrong to me. Major problem
is that it makes it obvious that the floor is a perfect plane missing
the expected irregularity in tile alignment and the missing joints/gaps.

Anyway it is just about finding the right balance between real-world
physics and faking it as usual within ray-tracing. Even with so called
unbiased render engines this keeps true (or maybe even more, because
flaws become also more obvious) as I'm currently playing around with the
trial version of the Maxwell renderer.

-Ive

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'at the jackal_10a_detail.png' (19 KB)

Preview of image 'at the jackal_10a_detail.png'
at the jackal_10a_detail.png