POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Daily life in Gancaloon: At the Jackal (wip 5) : Re: Daily life in Gancaloon: At the Jackal (wip 5) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Daily life in Gancaloon: At the Jackal (wip 5)
From: Ive
Date: 11 Dec 2011 17:05:32
Message: <4ee5292c@news.povray.org>
Am 11.12.2011 10:42, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Some more progress again. Three different views.

Beautiful scenes and delicious choice of colors. I really love it and
especially your attempt to create a whole little world and not just one
shot.

Thats it for the compliments and now the usual nitpicking:

Others have already mentioned it and I too find the moire pattern that
is produced by the floor tiles within the 'Jackal' most distracting.
Slightly blurring the image map or in case this are Jaime's tiles
modifying the color map to have a small transition between different
colors might help. In my experience even insane AA or FB setting do
sometimes not produce the desired smoothness so if anything else fails
rendering the image with higher resolution and moderate AA/FB and
finally down-sampling it should always do it without much of a speed
penalty.
Also polished stones or ceramic tiles are actually quite reflective when
viewed at shallow angles and therefor need fresnel falloff for the
reflection with a quite high IOR (1.5 and above). It is hard to predict
in this case but as the moire gets also stronger with shallow angels it
might also help with this unwanted patterns.

The next thing that bothers me is the texture of the stone arch in the
background. And I'm *not* talking about the 3rd picture where we are
standing below that arch and this issue is even more dominant.
The texture seems to be an image map that already has highlights and
shadows. And these do not match the real lighting condition. Actually
very close but it does not *really* fit.
To me this cries out loud CGI and I always find it distracting when
someone starts yelling at me.
Editing the used image with some clever filtering usually does the trick.

-Ive