POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Taboo foods : Taboo foods Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:45 EDT (-0400)
  Taboo foods
From: Warp
Date: 6 Dec 2011 17:31:04
Message: <4ede97a8@news.povray.org>
In most western countries (and probably many other places) there are some
commonly held taboos about eating certain animals. Dogs and cats are almost
universal (the places where they are not considered taboo to eat are quite
few).

  Amusingly, some animals are popularly considered sophisticated high-culture
delicacies in some (western) countries, while in other places they are
considered almost repugnant. For example wild boars are considered a
"high-culture" delicacy in most of Europe but I hear that eg. in Australia
they are considered repugnant (because boars are scavengers that eat dead
corpses of other animals). Same can be said of squid, octopuses, frogs and
snails (generally considered delicacies in mediterranean countries,
repugnant in more northern ones).

  However, perhaps the one that most surprises me personally is horse meat.
Apparently there are many western countries where eating horse meat is
considered as much a taboo as eating dog or cat meat. Personally I don't
understand why. What's wrong with horse meat? Is eating a horse somehow
different from eating a cow or a turkey? Both are farm animals, and neither
are really house pets. I don't get it.

--
                                                          - Warp