POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A plot idea : Re: A plot idea Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A plot idea
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 4 Dec 2011 14:43:30
Message: <4edbcd62$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/4/2011 4:04 AM, Warp wrote:

>    Of course there's nothing new under the sun, so there most probably exist
> countless stories already with similar ideas, but nevertheless, I think this
> could be a bases for a good book or movie script.

I'm not aware of any stories which have used this precise plot, but what
you describe is a pretty well known philosophical thought experiment
used to study/critique classical utilitarianism.  You're right that it
makes a good storyline though, and this combined with the fact that the
premise is well known makes me a bit surprised I haven't ever seen such
a story.