POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Includes Showroom : Re: Includes Showroom Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Includes Showroom
From: Alain
Date: 4 Dec 2011 13:54:31
Message: <4edbc1e7@news.povray.org>

> High!
>
> I mentioned an "includes showroom" for displaying and demonstrating
> textures and objects from the official PoV-Ray include files within a
> PoV-Ray museum at the Academy of Raytraced Art (ARA) at Port Whatmough,
> Whatmough, HD 28185 system, established in 2319 CE.
>
> After trying several area_light settings (with and without radiosity - I
> wonder how radiosity affects the looks_like objects so badly, they don't
> retain their ambient 1!), I settled for a 65 by 2 (each single lamp)
> setting. For quick test renders, I chose a simple point light with fade
> power 1.25.
>
> Attached here:
>
> 65 by 2 without jitter, no radiosity
>
> 65 by 2 with jitter, no radiosity
>
> simple point light, no radiosity(?)
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

As for version 3.7 onward, whenever you enable radiosity, ALL ambient
values are turned OFF.
You should use emission instead when you have light_source or want to
use ambient lighting.
An emiting look_like object will also help bluring the edges of the shadows.

In the jitter case, the sampling points are moved around for each shadow
test.
This mean that they can end up anywhere within the width of the
area_light. This explain the grainy look.
You would have much beter results using 2 actual, long and narrow,
area_light, one for each tube. This will give you a resuld between the
jitter and non-jitter cases.
Yes, I know, it will about double the rendering time, but should be
worth it.

Alain