POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange behaviour of area_light : Re: Strange behaviour of area_light Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange behaviour of area_light
From: Alain
Date: 2 Dec 2011 17:01:10
Message: <4ed94aa6@news.povray.org>

> I tried area_illumination (second image attached here) - and, yes, a
> little bit grainy, but I think it's tolerable at least for the time
> being!
>
> Yadgar

Regarding the graineeness isue:
Looking at your light_source, I see this:
light_source
   {
     <1, 0.1, 0.06>
     color White
     area_light
     <2, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 0.12>, 5, 2
     adaptive 1
     jitter
     fade_distance 1
     fade_power 2
     looks_like
     {
       union
       {
     object { Neon_Tube translate <0, 0.1, 0> }
     object { Neon_Tube translate <0, 0.1, 0.12> }
       }
     }
   }

As you have 2 strips, the 2 is OK.
The problem is that you have only 5 samples on the long side.
I propose something like this:
     area_light
     <2, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 0.12>, 17, 2
     adaptive 1
     jitter

Other densities that can be good: 33, 2 or 65, 2
(at 65, 2, or more, you probably no longer need to use jiter)

It's also possible that you may have correct results using only adaptive 0.

When you have a long and narrow light, the effective fade_power gets
lower than 2. In a typical room where your distance from the tubes are
relatively small, a fade_power 1.5 would probably be more realist.
The fade_power becomes 1 when the lenght of the light becomes very large
relative to the distance.

A very large/infinite emiting plane effectively don't fade with
distance: fade_power 0.
Do the test with a radiosity scene illuminated by an emiting plane.You
will have a constant illumination regardless of the distance from the plane.

Alain