POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 2 Dec 2011 11:16:33
Message: <4ed8f9e1@news.povray.org>
Le 2011-12-01 11:32, Invisible a écrit :
>>> Interesting. As I expected, it doesn't actually produce a very
>>> convincing effect; it merely wraps the image, and then does some
>>> cross-fading. The result is a very visible transition. (Still, at
>>> least they made it circular, eh?)
>>
>> it's a smooth transition that is barely noticeable in the large scheme
>> of things. Once it's mapped on a 3D floor, you simply don't notice the
>> faded edges on the tiled floor.
>
> Maybe. But I'm talking about a 2D website background. It's pretty
> noticeable when half a pebble cross-fades into a different pebble.
>
>>> As an aside, I'd never noticed the Filter menu before. There's quite a
>>> lot of stuff in there...
>>
>> o_0
>>
>> It's just the bread and butter of bitmap editors...
>
> Well, it's the bread and butter of image processors. It won't help you
> if you're trying to (for example) remove an object from an image...

No, automatic filters can't decide what to remove on their own*.  One
has to use the clone stamp tool for that (see attached).

It may come as a shock to you, but GIMP does come with tutorials and
documentation!

*Despite what they say about Photoshop CS5's or Gimp's smart removal
filter.

Attachments:
Download 'clonestamp.jpg' (149 KB)

Preview of image 'clonestamp.jpg'