POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange behaviour of area_light : Re: Strange behaviour of area_light Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange behaviour of area_light
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 2 Dec 2011 11:11:57
Message: <4ed8f8cd@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 02.12.2011 16:16, clipka wrote:

> - The historic area_light code is only designed to generate soft
> shadows; other effects (highlights and - as in your case -
> distance-based light fading) remain as per a standard point light. (The
> area_illumination switch introduced with 3.7 does fix this for
> highlights, but not for distance fading yet.)

I tried area_illumination (second image attached here) - and, yes, a
little bit grainy, but I think it's tolerable at least for the time
being! The area illumination not being taken into account for fading
might yield weird results, but for my scene it would not very notable,
as I'll use not less than 5 x 6 of these dual neon light panels for a
room of 15 by 12 metres!

> - As for the looks_like object, note that you need to specify that
> object as if the light source was located at <0,0,0>; it will
> automatically be translated to the true position of the light source. (I
> just noticed that this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the docs. I'll
> take care of that.)

So the looks_like object is automatically centered around the (center
point of the) light source... would be a good idea to mention this in
the wiki (and the regular doc which comes with the installation package)!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2011-12-02 includes showroom 1, take 20 - neon tubes, assembly view.jpg' (14 KB) Download '2011-12-02 includes showroom 1, take 21 - neon tubes, assembly view.jpg' (18 KB)

Preview of image '2011-12-02 includes showroom 1, take 20 - neon tubes, assembly view.jpg'
2011-12-02 includes showroom 1, take 20 - neon tubes, assembly view.jpg

Preview of image '2011-12-02 includes showroom 1, take 21 - neon tubes, assembly view.jpg'
2011-12-02 includes showroom 1, take 21 - neon tubes, assembly view.jpg