POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: clipka
Date: 2 Dec 2011 10:45:17
Message: <4ed8f28d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.12.2011 10:41, schrieb Invisible:

> 1. Everybody has a mental model of how the world works, and based on
> that model, everybody has a mostly clear idea of what is and is not
> possible. If you stopped to seriously consider every single outlandish
> claim hurled at you, you'd spend a long time considering utter nonsense.
> Thus if somebody tells me they've solved the halting problem, that they
> can remove objects from a photograph, or that they can see through
> walls, I'm going to have to say that that's impossible. It's not that I
> can't think of a way to do it, it's that there are strong theoretical
> reasons for why it should /not/ be possible, ever.

As for the removal of objects from a photograph, see the sovjet russian
tradition. They were pretty good at that actually.

Not trusting anything people tell you is an important thing. But you
also need the ability to not trust your mental model of the world
either, which is a skill you don't really show in your postings.

> 2. If you read my original post, I mostly said that certain things "defy
> comprehension". I didn't say it was "impossible". Clearly these web
> designs exist - I just cannot understand *how* they can exist. I don't
> see how it's possible. I was hoping that maybe somebody would be able to
> explain it. Instead, everybody just said "it's all trivial, you're just
> too stupid to understand that".

If you want explanations, ask for them. Don't expect male people to read
that request between the lines of your posts.