POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange behaviour of area_light : Re: Strange behaviour of area_light Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange behaviour of area_light
From: clipka
Date: 2 Dec 2011 10:16:11
Message: <4ed8ebbb$1@news.povray.org>

> When I started to test the neon tubes for the exhibition rooms'
> illumination, I noticed a strange behaviour of the area_light: although
> I defined center and size of the area light correctly, the light
> concentrates in one point! Moreover, the looks_like object (a union of
> two narrow cylinders) is cut in half!

You have two different issues here:

- The historic area_light code is only designed to generate soft
shadows; other effects (highlights and - as in your case -
distance-based light fading) remain as per a standard point light. (The
area_illumination switch introduced with 3.7 does fix this for
highlights, but not for distance fading yet.)

- As for the looks_like object, note that you need to specify that
object as if the light source was located at <0,0,0>; it will
automatically be translated to the true position of the light source. (I
just noticed that this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the docs. I'll
take care of that.)