POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Dec 2011 04:41:49
Message: <4ed89d5d@news.povray.org>
On 01/12/2011 11:10 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:

> In addition, I'm not sure what point you're making.

Everybody is like "making tilable images is trivial; you just click this
button". What I'm saying is that I cannot imagine any algorithm that the
software could be executing which would actually work.

> As an illustration of (2), I've attached a tileable image that I created
> in GIMP with about two button clicks and no manual editing. Can you spot
> the seams?

No. Which still doesn't explain how this is possible.

> As a meta-comment you have a tenancy to declare things "impossible" when
> you merely cannot see a way to achieve them. Given that your assessments
> are not infrequently wrong in this regard, you might benefit from being
> less defeatist and more curious when you don't see how something can be
> done. Just my opinion though, you're obviously free to disregard it as
> bunk.

1. Everybody has a mental model of how the world works, and based on
that model, everybody has a mostly clear idea of what is and is not
possible. If you stopped to seriously consider every single outlandish
claim hurled at you, you'd spend a long time considering utter nonsense.
Thus if somebody tells me they've solved the halting problem, that they
can remove objects from a photograph, or that they can see through
walls, I'm going to have to say that that's impossible. It's not that I
can't think of a way to do it, it's that there are strong theoretical
reasons for why it should /not/ be possible, ever.

2. If you read my original post, I mostly said that certain things "defy
comprehension". I didn't say it was "impossible". Clearly these web
designs exist - I just cannot understand *how* they can exist. I don't
see how it's possible. I was hoping that maybe somebody would be able to
explain it. Instead, everybody just said "it's all trivial, you're just
too stupid to understand that".