POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Dec 2011 04:22:31
Message: <4ed898d7$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/12/2011 01:15 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 12/1/2011 2:02, Invisible wrote:
>> And you're saying stuff like that actually exists in the real world, and
>> some of it is actually good quality?
>
> I've seen multiple news reports of people being PO'ed because their
> "free" photography wound up advertising something on the side of a bus.
> Perfectly legal, the way they had released it.
>
> So, yeah.

>>> I had to google around for about 15 minutes before I found an actual
>>> explanation, rather than someone just saying "use the photoshop filter".
>>
>> Because, of course, everybody can afford Photoshop(r)... Oh, wait...
>
> Well, because everyone who professionally manipulates photos for video
> games can afford photoshop or some similar package.

I'm completely sure what a *professional* web designer would have access
to all sorts of things - image libraries, commercial typefaces, image
editing software, etc. My original point, way back when this thread
started, was that a guy sitting in their bedroom cannot possibly hope to
compete with or even approach this level of perfection in a finished design.

>> I still don't see how you can "fix" the seems. It's not like you can move
>> individual blades of grass around.
>
> Sure. Clone brush.

That doesn't work.

No, wait, I rephrase: I have never yet seen it work. Is that better?

>> Somebody somewhere must actually /teach/ graphic design skills...
>
> Yeah. It's called "college". :-)

...and again we're back to "I don't have that kind of money". :-/

Then again, I guess if you want a website, the thing to do is pay for a
professional to design it for you. Only trouble is, most of these guys
seem to do a fairly poor job. God only knows how you hire the good guys...

>> Then again, I spent 6 months at drawing classes, and I still can't
>> draw. So
>> maybe it's just that only a tiny fraction of the population will ever be
>> good at graphic design?
>
> Or maybe the people trying to teach you to draw were better artists than
> teachers?

Yeah, probably. Few people apparently realise that being good at
something is not the same as being good at teaching it...